Followers

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Cult or Culture?

I was inspired to write this post by a certain person... Many of the why revolutionaries will know who he is... who has accused me of starting a cult. I though I would use the blog to set the record straight, and to try and explain the why revolution a little more, to those of you who might be struggling to get your head around it.

According to Wikipedia (fountain of all knowledge..mostly) A cult is "new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre". Whilst I, as a founding member of the why revolution, may say we are neither, in actual fact, because of the nature of this movement, which is based on equality, my opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's. Whether you, like the person I was speaking to consider this a cult, depends very much on your outlook in life. For my part, [as concerns the first point about religion, I would say as I have said before, we are not a religious movement, we are not an anti religious movement, we are both and neither. I myself am a catholic. Whilst I am religious I chose not to show it by preaching ect, I do it by trying to be a good person, and to help others, so for me, the why revolution has a religious aspect, because it is my way of practising my beliefs. The Why Revolution's core message is treat others as you would like to be treated. And for me this is like love you neighbour. So for me this is a religious movement, but that is only on a personal level. Some people might argue that adds a cult- like aspect, but only as far as Christianity is considered a cult.


On the other side of the fence are atheists. Because this movement was designed a way for everyone to practice their beliefs, some of the non-believing members of the why revolution consider it a way for atheists to prove that human beings can make the world a better place, and can become more moral without religion, that this movement is their way of proving that we don't need a belief in God to be good. That is their personal truth, and that truth is no more or less correct than mine. It's simply a perspective. But on that score, it could be argued that the why revolution is the opposite of a cult, the antithesis, because cults entail belief in some higher power, and this could be described as the proof that this is not necessary any more. 


I personally consider the why revolution to be a symbol of young people's desire for a change in culture. Not a sub culture, because we are not working outside the system, we are working inside it, to change it for the better. 2012 is supposed to be a year of change, a year when something happens to society. There are some people who say 'nothing is going to happen, nothing will ever change' and there are other people who say 'something is going to happen in 2012. Because I am going to make it happen.' Why revolutionaries are the people who say 'I am going to make change happen'. There is no reason why we we cannot change culture, as long as everybody works together, because we, the teenagers who have started this movement, are the future, so why can the future not be ours?





No comments:

Post a Comment